Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Popcorn Madness

Why do microwaves have a popcorn button when it is never the right amount of time?

I popped a bag at home. My microwave's "popcorn" setting is for 1 min 45 seconds. It burnt my entire bag and stunk up my house. I had to make a second bag where I discovered that 1 min 30 seconds is apparently the magic amount of time.

I popped a bag at work where the microwave "popcorn" setting is for 2 minutes. Only about 1/4 of the bag popped... total waste!!! It seems like the work microwave needs a good 3 1/2 minutes or more to make the perfect popcorn bag.

What is this conspiracy????

What's the point of having a "popcorn" button on the microwave if it never actually makes the popcorn correctly? Is this a secret push from the microwave companies for us as a society to go back to the old ways of making popcorn in a pan over the stove? Were they paid off by Canola?

I have a popcorn pan and I know how to use it. It is probably a little healthier. I like popcorn popped on the stove, it reminds me of my Grandpa.

But still... what a waste of a button on the microwave.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...that's weird. The popcorn buttons I've used have worked like a champ. Usually they leave the bag a bit underpopped but I think that's on purpose because that way it's a guarantee there are no burns. Plus I don't usually eat all of it anyway so I don't need all of them to pop. I agree with your thought process though, if it doesn't work then why bother? Ever tried the stovetop Jiffy Pop? I did it all the time when I was a kid with no problems but I tried it a few years ago as an adult and jacked up my stovetop. I don't think you're supposed to move that thing back and forth over a ceramic stovetop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOO to the jiffy pop. I think I just need to stick to the real deal, at least at home.

    ReplyDelete