Sunday, January 24, 2010

Movie Crimes

Is it ethical to hide your 50 cent candy bar in your purse when you go to the movies instead of spending 5 dollars on it there?

AMC theaters started a new policy in December of no outside food or drinks and they have a million signs posted everywhere and the 18 year old taking tickets will flat out deny you entrance in a very snotty way if you have so much as a coffee in your hand. It used to be that AMC let you carry in whatever you wanted. With this new rule, they have created a new set of criminals... food sneakers! If this were a felony, I would be in jail right now. I snuck in 2 fish tacos from Rubios AND a cupcake this weekend. They were delicious and I did not get caught.

I think the way that AMC is enforcing this is ridiculous. I realize that their profits were down last quarter and they make most of their money on the food/drinks... but if you want to sell more food and drinks, make them more appealing!!! The popcorn is good, but not as good as my mom's.... and everything else is just kind of gross-ish. Maybe if the food offered were tasty and unique (not a 7-11 hotdog) then people would buy more. And maybe if it were more reasonably priced, more people would partake! Wouldn't you be more tempted to buy something if it weren't 500% over market price?

In the meantime, I have gotten a bigger purse.

2 comments:

  1. My first run-in with the movie theater "outside snack" restrictions was my junior year of high school. I wanted to see just how strict they were with their rules so I brought in an outside soda. I didn't hide it but I also didn't flaunt it, just carried it in. You'd have thought I was holding up a bank...SWARM SWARM SWARM. I had to choose between throwing it away or leaving. I threw it away.

    Sneaking snacks in is wrong. And I do it all the time. If there prices were "elevated" I'd go ahead and support them and buy their stuff. But considering their prices aren't "elevated" but rather "retarded" I can't do it. I'm sure they need to do it to keep their theater alive but, bummer, I'm not spending 5 bucks on a 99 cent box of M&Ms. I'm already taking out a second mortgage on the house to afford the general admission tickets. I will, however, pay their prices for the popcorn and soda. There's just something about movie theater popcorn and soda that I can't resist. And I'm talking actual popcorn that comes from the movie theater, not "movie theater" flavoring of popcorn made at home.

    Here's a cheapskate tip: Check out Ebay for AMC deals. I bought a pack of 40 AMC tickets that came with a ton of free popcorn coupons off Ebay. It's like I own the joint, I walk in whenever I feel like it. Granted, I paid for those tickets, but it doesn't feel like it.

    Speaking of which, here's an AMC coupon for this weekend:
    http://www.amcentertainment.com/uploadedFiles/MovieWatcher_Rewards/Coupon_BuyLargePopcorn-FreeMedDrink.pdf

    What movie did you see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the coupon!!!

    Funny story on the movie... I went to see It's Complicated and we were sitting there all pepped up ready to go and the previews came on.... FUZZY. Super-fuzz, enough to give you a headache. After they flicked around with it for 20 minutes, they gave us all a free movie voucher and a free popcorn voucher and a refund. SO... that's when my friends bailed and I got the tacos and cupcake and went to ANOTHER AMC located a good 1.2 miles away and snuck in my food and saw Extraordinary Measures. I rate it a 7 on a scale of 1-10. When it got out, I went to the bathroom and when I came out of the bathroom, there, in front of me, like a gift from a higher power, the theater was showing It's Complicated starting in 1 minute. It was destiny. So I saw it too. TWO for the price of ZERO. :)

    ReplyDelete