Monday, January 11, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree


My Christmas Tree is still up.

There, I said it. I admitted it in writing. To my two friends/readers who probably already knew anyway.

I asked the voice of wisdom (my mom) when, technically speaking, I should take down my tree. She said I could get away with keeping it up for the "12 Days of Christmas" which starts on December 25th so that means through January 6th, right? So I'm ok, right? Only 5 days behind "acceptable" behavior? Can't be too bad...

It's artificial, so there's no death and decay going on... just a little plastic-pine-needle-nibbling by my cat as he plops down underneath and stares up at the beauty that is My Christmas Tree.

I'm not the only one who is late to take it down either. This morning one of my neighbors snuck his tree down stairs and out back and leaned it in the tiny space next to the garbage dumpster even though the garbage/recycling/tree-taking man comes on Friday. To this neighbor who did it in the wee hours of the morning: Everybody knows it was you. The trail of dead pine needles is a give away. Just like in Harry Potter, there's a magic tool that can aid you in your trickery: a broom.

Here's the thing... if stores didn't start putting out decorations and decking their halls (ha ha, I crack myself up) in August, then maybe it wouldn't be so ridiculous to still have a little holiday spirit on January 11th still. August is awesome already with the warm beach and long days and outdoor concerts and baseball - it doesn't need Christmas too.

January doesn't have any of those things that August has. It's the start of the longest stretch of work without a Holiday (5 months between New Years and Memorial Day.) The days are short and the weather is cold (ok, it's 65 degrees here in San Diego, but still its colder) and I, for one, could use some pepping up in mid-January.

Why not with a tree and lights and a song about reindeer? And throw in a little eggnog too.

1 comment: